Last Updated on
This Momma is in a hurry, just tell me which camera is the best already!
The Kodak PRINTOMATIC Digital Instant Print Camera is the top choice on this list, for its pricing as well as its ease of use for all ages. Younger kids can point and click, while older kids and adults can experiment a bit more with the photography. The microSD card slot is a nice feature to allow some computer editing and to save all the memories and artistic expressions you don’t print out.
If your kids are anything like mine, they are constantly asking to take pictures on your phone. However, loaning them my phone is not always a good idea. One time I did let my son take pictures at a birthday party and he dropped it on the pavement. It never worked again.
That was when I vowed that my budding photographer needed a camera of his very own. But it needed to be affordable, easy to access the photos, and obviously very durable. Oh, and simple to use would probably be a good feature, too!
After researching instant cameras on Amazon, I found the top 5 to give to your little photographer. And to save your phone in the process.
Kodak PRINTOMATIC Digital Instant Print Camera
Our Top Pick
- ALL-IN-ONE PHOTOGRAPY - The 10-megapixel, point-and-shoot PRINTOMATIC Camera offers a combination of a powerful 10MP sensor with a wide angle f/2 lens that instantly and automatically prints hi quality color or black and white photos directly from the camera body, just point and shoot making it the ideal all-in-one solution for capturing and sharing vibrant prints instantaneously wherever you are
- FAST EASY AND FUN – Forget computers. Forget cumbersome printers just point and shoot the camera’s speed allows you to shoot a new photo while printing the previous shot. It also comes equipped with a light sensor that will automatically turn on the flash in low-light settings. No computer necessary
- ONE STOP PRINTING - The Kodak Printomatic camera instantly and automatically prints high-quality vibrant 2X3” photos. The camera uses Kodak Zink Photo Paper, so no ink cartridges, toners or film are needed. The photo prints are durable, water-resistant, tear resistant, smudge free and adhesive-backed. The Kodak Printomatic camera is fast, fun, and easy to use providing you with on-the-spot results
- CHARMING DESIGN – Comes in Variety of Fun, Bold Colors; compact in size Slips neatly even into your shirt pocket make it easy to carry around as you go about your day, ensuring you always have it on hand
- INSTANT VALUE - Despite its many digital technological advancements the Kodak Printomatic Camera is an easy-to-use and an accessible-to-all product at a price point you would expect to pay for an analog instant camera the camera has slots for attaching a neck strap, and saves photos to a microSD card
Kodak PRINTOMATIC Digital Instant Print Camera Review
Kodak is a trusted name in photography, and they have their years of expertise on display with this instant camera.
Some nice features of this camera include a slot for a microSD card, and slots to attach a neck-strap. If you are worried about your kid dropping the camera, purchasing the neck-strap would be a pretty sound investment.
While color is the default setting for photos, there is a button that allows you to choose to print your photos in black and white. Most kids may not care about this feature, but if yours is exploring photography as more than a plaything they may find this feature very cool.
Most reviewers remarked that the KODAK ZINK photo paper it uses is very durable, tear and water-resistant, and smear-proof. And if you know kids, you know they don’t have the patience to wait for an instant photo to dry. I think, though, that most kids would agree that the best thing about the photo paper is that it has an adhesive backing.
One thing to look out for: the shutter button can be very easy to accidentally hit, causing a photo to unexpectedly print. On a digital camera, this isn’t a big deal, but it feels wasteful when precious photo paper is involved.
Super Mom Picks Verdict:
Almost all the reviews agreed that this would be a good first camera for kids. It is simple to use and nice that you can opt between automatically printing out photos or saving them to your computer. Because of the inexpensive photo paper, this would be a great camera for younger kids who enjoy the instant gratification of taking many pictures and seeing them printed out right away.
Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 Instant Camera
- Takes 2 AA Batteries; Picture size 62 x 46 millimeter; Viewfinder Real image finder, 0.37x, with target spot
- New selfie mirror, Shutter shutter speed: 1 per 60 sec
- New Macro Lens adapter for close ups 35 centimeter to 50 centimeter
- Automatic exposure measurement; The camera signals the recommended aperture setting with a flashing LED; This helps capture the perfect photo every time
- Focusing: 0.6 meter
Fujifilm Instax Mini 9 Instant Camera review
This camera sure seems to be an instant camera sensation. Where all the other cameras I looked at had hundreds of reviews, this one had thousands. And it is the camera that was most frequently referenced (typically lovingly) in other reviews.
The Instax is the least expensive camera of the group, which may account for some of its fan love.
The wide array of candy colors is a lot of fun, as is the compact size.
What makes this camera stand out from the others is the brightness dial for taking photos. The camera can automatically gauge the lighting and will illuminate one of the certain lighting icons to let you know the proper mode you should choose for your light setting. Kids might feel very advanced knowing how to adjust the dial to line up the perfect shot.
Super Mom Picks Verdict:
Reviews are mixed as to whether this camera is kid-friendly or not. Most reviewers agree that ten and up should be fine with this camera, though there was no consensus whether a five-year-old could hold the chunky camera and press the button. Though one reviewer stood by her claim that it is durable enough to withstand a five or six-year-old, the Instax is probably better suited for older children who can hold it more easily.
Polaroid SNAP Touch 2.0
- Point, shoot, print – taking picture perfect snapshots is quick and fun. Just frame The shot using the touchscreen Display, press the shutter button to capture the image, then print The photo and watch the memories come to life.
- All-in-one camera and printer – from portraits to selfies, this powerful 13MP camera with a 3. 4millimeter Lens captures every detail and prints in an instant without the need for Film and toners. It also doubles as a camcorder, so taking 1080P/720P HD video is as a simple as the Press of a button. The camera also features a micros card slot, so you can save your pictures and print them later.
- Stunningly vibrant prints – zinc Zero Ink printing technology eliminates the need for ink and toners. The 2x3ʺ sticky-back paper prints are not only colorful and true to life, but are water-resistant, tear-resistant, smudge-proof, and are Dry to the touch.
- Free Polaroid mobile app – take your photography to the next level by downloading the free Polaroid app, compatible with iOS and Android. No computer connections needed: simply send your photos to a smartphone via Bluetooth connectivity and unlock all the editing features Polaroid has to offer. From stickers to filters to Borders, photo editing options are easy, fun, and as endless as your creativity
- Travel-ready design – The Mini, Colorful, and pocket sized design is compact, super portable and perfect for anyone who loves to travel, blog, do DIY projects, or go on adventures. An included wrist strap makes it easy to carry, Whether you’re indoors, outdoors, at a party, or on vacation.
Polaroid SNAP Touch 2.0 review
Polaroid really wasn’t messing around when they introduced this camera, a combination digital/instant mashup. This is the only camera in the pack that not only has an LCD screen for setting up your shots, but it is also a touchscreen. Oh, and did I mention that it also has video capability?
There is also Bluetooth connectivity so that you can send your photos to a smartphone, where you can then download the free Polaroid app that allows you to edit. Kids could have endless hours of fun with just the editing features alone.
Most kids will instantly feel at home with this camera since it utilizes technology they are already familiar with.
However, all this awesomeness comes with a high price tag. Clocking in at nearly four times the amount as some other instant cameras, it is worth thinking about if you really want all these bells and whistles for a camera you are giving to your child. If you are trying to give your kiddo something to do that doesn’t involve screen time, this isn’t it.
Super Mom Picks Verdict:
This is one nice camera, and you may end up wanting to keep it for yourself. It will be a natural fit for most children who are used to operating the cameras on their parents’ smartphones, so there is very little learning curve. If you are looking for a higher-end camera that your kids can do a lot of exploring with, and perhaps also for yourself, then this is the right choice for you.
Polaroid Snap Instant Digital Camera
- Snap, Print, Share : The Polaroid Snap instant digital Camera captures all the fun and spontaneity of the legacy Polaroid instant Camera in an Easy, Compact Package; Simply Point and click to Print Vibrant, high Quality Photos that you can Share, no computer connections needed
- Zero INK, Zero Toner, Instant Results : The Integrated Zink Printing Technology enables you to instantly Print Full Color, smudge Proof 2x3 inches Prints Automatically when an image is captured without ink, ribbons or toner cartridges, this enables you to easily Print and Share physical Photos at the push of a button, while saving all Your images for Easy uploading
- Embrace Your Inner photographer : Get Snapping, capture Details with the Powerful 10 megapixel Sensor, insert a microSD card (32GB max) to Expand the memory, load Your Zink paper and Print on the spot, add an artistic touch with the different picture modes available; Simile to the Camera and Take a selfie with the built in selfie mirror or get Yourself and the group in the shot with the self Timer feature
- Post Anywhere : The 2X3 inches prints are Ready in under a minute, the adhesive backing makes for extra fun and easy posting on most surfaces; Your photos are also saved on the Polaroid snap for easy uploading to your computer and social media platforms
- Charming Design : Comes in Variety of Fun, Bold Colors; Compact, slips neatly into Your shirt pocket; Includes a Wrist Strap, Micro USB Cord; Only Polaroid Products offered by authorized dealers are covered by its manufacturers Warranty; A list of authorized distributors is on the manufactures website
Polaroid Snap Instant Digital Camera review
A very basic, and simple to use, instant camera. The Polaroid Snap comes with most of the features of other instant cameras, and hardly any of the frills. This is the simplest and most elementary camera of the bunch.
The standout feature on this camera is the indicator which let the user know when the camera is low on battery, paper, or even memory space.
Some of the reviews complained that they noticed their printed pictures were cropped and that parts of what they were expecting to be in the photo were simply cut out. However, if the user learns how to determine the “border” area in the viewfinder this should not ruin any shots. This may be a tad too difficult for even the most observant underage user. The reviews were decidedly mixed on whether this camera was kid-friendly, or even simply user-friendly.
Super Mom Picks Verdict:
This is the camera to consider if you are looking for a fun way for your child to play around with taking pictures for entertainment. Since the photo paper is only around $0.50 a print you can feel better about letting them snap away.
Polaroid Originals OneStep 2 VF
- Easy to use: Just point & shoot. Compose your shot, press the red button and magic will appear!
- Self-timer function - 60-day battery life: high performance lithium ion battery, 1300mAh, 3.7V nominal Voltage, 4.81Wh
- High-quality lens: Optical grade Polycarbonate and Acrylic lenses - Fixed focus lens: 2 feet - infinity - Field of view: 41 degrees vertical and 40 degrees horizontal
- Powerful built-in flash, Flash System: Vacuum discharge tube strobe - Shutter system: Custom design, using precision step motor shutter
- Included in box: OneStep 2 VF camera - USB charging cable - Neck strap - User manual
- Compatible with both i-Type and 600 film
Polaroid Originals OneStep 2 VF review
Just like your parents’ Polaroid camera from back in the day! Your kids may get a real kick out of this camera because its vintage look and appears unlike any other camera.
Other than its retro style, this camera offers an upgraded viewfinder that makes framing photos simple, even for beginners. This can be a big plus in preventing frustration in all photographers, even the youngest among us.
There is one thing to watch out for. The advertising material for the OneStep 2 talks breezily about only needing to push the red button and you are done. Many reviews claim that the button at times either sticks or jams and won’t do anything for a moment. Perhaps not as magical as advertised, but also not necessarily a deal-breaker.
Super Mom Picks Verdict:
Older kids will appreciate this one, especially if they are looking for ways to express their emerging personal style. The enhanced viewfinder makes this an ideal camera for taking beautiful shots of their friends.