Last Updated on
Today, we’re going to talk about the different essential oils that can help you fight off the common threats to your family’s health. We will cover essential oils for mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, and lice.
Two things I dislike the most are harmful chemicals being used on my family and disease-carrying bugs! I was over the moon ecstatic when I discovered all-natural essential oil recipes that can repel these harmful creatures and protect my family from toxins.
Make sure that you pin this one so that you have the recipes!
Essential Oils For Fleas
If your home has become infested with fleas I recommend calling a professional, or using flea foggers; however, if you are only seeing a few on your pets, my secret weapon is lemongrass essential oil.
Lemongrass can be applied topically or diffused in your home to kill fleas, but there are so many other great reasons to have this essential oil in your home. Lemongrass has antibacterial and even anti-cancer properties.
How often do you use other flea killing chemicals in your home and actually feel good about it!?
To diffuse: Add 10 drops to 1 liter of water and diffuse. Repeat as needed
Essential Oils For Ticks
This mix of essential oils makes a great natural tick repellent!
Recipe makes a 4 oz glass bottle
Fill the rest of the 4 oz bottle with water and shake before each use and reapply every 3 hours
Essential Oils For Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes are not just annoying, they carry diseases! I am not sure which is scarier, the potential for disease from a bite, or toxins in a can of bug spray. That is why I eliminate both concerns and make my own secret concoction to ward off mosquitoes.
Recipe makes a 4 oz glass bottle
Fill the rest of the 4 oz bottle with water and shake before each use and reapply as needed
Essential Oils For Lice
Every year I get the letter sent home from school that there has been a confirmed case of head lice in the school.
This momma doesn’t even worry about it because I have an all-natural secret to repelling them that I use all year long.
My secret is using Tea Tree oil for lice. This essential oil is also called Melaleuca and it is a natural lice repellent. It is a great home remedy for lice.
If you have school-aged children I recommend adding 20 drops of Melaleuca to their shampoo bottle during the school year, just to keep lice disinterested in your child.
My favorite shampoo to do this with is the Jason brand, tea tree shampoo. I like this much better than buying special lice prevention shampoo.
Now that you are armed with my all-natural secrets to repelling and killing harmful insects there are a few other tricks to using essential oils that you should know.
Super Mom Picks Bright Ideas
- Essential oils are highly-potent and volatile liquids that are distilled from plants. I recommend only using quality therapeutic grade oils so that you are getting the oils in their purest form. Don’t fall for the common mistake of buying just any essential oils at a retail store that are likely over-processed and less effective.
- In my recipes above I specifically called out using a glass spray bottle, like the ones found here. High-quality essential oils will break down a plastic spray bottle over time. Glass or metal spray bottles are the best when concocting oils.
Finally, if you don’t yet own an essential oil diffuser, you will need one. Here are a few that I recommend.
- Dewdrop-shape is topped by multicolor LED lights that inspire, refresh and invigorate
- LiteMist aromatherapy system silently mists essential oils into your space
- As a midsized diffuser (7.1′′ x 4.2′′), it is the perfect size for your home-office, work space, conference room, hotel lobby or massage parlor.
- Energy efficient, this 80ml capacity machine runs for up to 4 hours before needing to be refilled-and the auto shut off ensures safe operating, even if you forget it’s on (because it’s so quiet)
- URPOWER New Version: The URPOWER Ultrasonic Aroma Essential Oil Diffuser is an upgraded version. The 2nd generation produces more mist than old version. An ideal way to add moist, comfortable air to...
- Please use 100% pure essential oils with no corrosivity, Ultrasonic aroma essential oil diffuse is safe and does not harm the essential oil of any ingredients
- Outlet shouldn’t be inserted cord that exceeds the maximum voltage. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to give your room a pleasant scent.
- Features include 7 color changing lamps for your choice, nightlight, programmable on/off cycles and auto shut-off.once the water runs out,it wil be auto shut-off to protect the device