Last Updated on
This Momma is in a hurry, just tell me which water table is the best already!
There are so many excellent and unique water table choices, but the best choice for all-around use is Step2 Tropical Rainforest Water Table. It is versatile enough to inspire older children to explore its features but still simple enough for younger children to experiment with water play. The main attraction of the table is pouring water into the treetop basin, which not only teaches cause and effect but also satisfies children’s basic love of pouring.
Kids gravitate toward water. They are fascinated by it and endlessly entertained with the many forms of play it can satisfy. No matter what the weather is, my kids will find water when they are playing outside and pour, splash, and float. Even in the middle of winter on the playground.
An outdoor water play table is an excellent way to fulfill their need to explore and learn through water play. There are an awful lot of water tables on the market, and while so many are identical to each other, several have stand out features. Here are some of the best.
Step2 Tropical Rainforest Water Table
Our Top Pick
- Take water play to a new level of splish-splash fun with this outdoor water activity center for toddlers!
- Molded-in rainforest detail and jungle-themed critter toys spark kids' imaginations
- Pour water on the rainforest canopy to create realistic rainfall sounds and activate the put-and-place water maze pieces.
- Open design water table and included accessories encourage interactive social play for multiple toddlers.
- In the box: Water table base, rainforest canopy tray, 13-piece accessory set featuring a tree-frog, toucan, and tropical fish squish toys.
- Note from Step2: All Step2 water tables come with pictured accessories for no added charge.
Step2 Tropical Rainforest Water Table Review
This cute and unique water table has an elevated basin designed to look like rainforest trees. Kids love pouring over and over into the basin and watching (and hearing) the resulting rain shower. They can also create a waterfall down the side of the basin using maze pieces that spin and pour and are rearrangeable, using STEM play to explore cause and effect, resulting in a different waterfall with each arrangement.
The downside of the basin is that one must be constantly pouring buckets of water in order to achieve the rainfall effect. Some customers tired of this but placing a hose in the top is a good way to get around that.
The only real complaint about this product is that it is difficult to assemble. There are no pre-drilled holes for the screws, and this resulted in a lot of sore muscles and frustrated moms and dads. Nearly every reviewer recommended making sure you have another person helping you, and perhaps using an electric drill to help.
Super Mom Picks Verdict:
The reviews for this water table are mostly glowing, even with the assembly complaints. If you have older children as well as younger kiddos, this is the table to consider. The manufacturer’s age recommendation is 24 months through 10 years, and I can see older kids being just as fascinated with this water table. And as a bonus, they can do all the water pouring for you so you can sit back and relax.
Step2 Splish Splash Seas Water Table
- 42" (106.7 cm) umbrella and 10-accessories included
- Send the play figures down the slide or off the diving board
- Use the hinged bucket to fill up the waterfall
- Elevated table height perfect for both toddlers and preschoolers
- Spin the water wheel carousel and watch the water move
Step2 Splish Splash Seas Water Table Review
Finally, a water table with an umbrella! This makes so much sense, I can’t believe they don’t all have one. Kids can stay nice and shaded while keeping cool with the water, though taller kids may not be able to fit under the short umbrella.
A word of warning about this table is that several reviews complained of leaking. Some of the complaints mentioned that the water leaked into the legs, which can make it difficult to remove the water. If the table is stationed outside it may not be a big deal, though it can be troublesome and wasteful to be frequently refilling the table.
Super Mom Picks Verdict:
This table can keep younger kids busy for extended periods of time thanks to all the accessories. This is why the umbrella can be such a blessing; keeping them safe from the sun is important if they are stationed outside for long periods of time. This table is ideal for younger kiddos who love pretend play. Their figurines can get into many grand adventures with all the different parts of this table.
Little Tikes Anchors Away Pirate Ship Water Table
- Fun pirate ship themed outdoor, water play table loaded with spinning features
- Water moves with pump or by pouring water into the crows nest
- Aim and squirt water from the water cannon
- Anchor raises and lowers by cranking the handle
Little Tikes Anchors Away Pirate Ship Review
Arrrr, matey! This adorable water table is shaped like a pirate ship and inspires great imaginative play!
The accessories that come with this table are interactive and so fun for little hands. Your young pirates can squirt water from the cannon to hit the other pirates (a couple of pirate figures are included). They can also pour water down the crows nest to create a cascading waterfall or press a pump at the bottom of the mast to bring water up the pole.
Some parents indicate that perhaps the pump and cannon might be a little difficult for younger hands to operate. In some instances, the cannon had poor squirt action and the pump only resulted in a dribble of water. These aspects may be best left to somebody with more advanced motor skills
Given the detailed theme of this table, this is also a great one to double as an indoor sensory table when the weather is too uncooperative for outside play. Even left empty this table can inspire some wonderful dramatic play.
Super Mom Picks Verdict:
This table is almost too adorable to resist. Who can say no to a good pirate game?
The crows nest waterfall is quite novel, and all the accessories fit perfectly with the ship theme. The manufacturer recommendation is ages 24 months through 6 years, but I would amend that to say it is best for kids with developed fine motor skills through even older than 6. Even your oldest scalawags will be drawn to the fun.
Dino Dig Sand and Water Table
- This all-in-one kids’ sensory table by Step2 features double-sided sand and water play.
- Two-sided water activity table features an adorable dinosaur theme, including a “volcano” and palm tree.
- Use the double-sided rake and shovel to dig to the bottom to find the molded-in dino bones and footprints.
- Outdoor water activity table for toddlers includes a non-leak drain plug for easy clean up when playtime fun is done.
- In the box: Sand & water table base and 7-piece dinosaur-themed accessory set.
Dino Dig Sand and Water Table Review
Kids will be in heaven with this table that allows for sand AND water play at the same time. One side of the table is a standard water table, complete with drain. The other smaller side is meant for sand; when done playing the sand can be covered with a plastic “volcano” covering to keep it safe from weather and animals.
Accessories are light with this set, only a shovel/rake combo, two small buckets, and four dinosaur figurines. Depending on your view, this could be a blessing since that means less assembly and fewer parts to possibly break. And as a bonus, the dinosaurs squirt.
If the idea of the sand and water mixing together makes you queasy, however, you may want to think twice about this model. Many reviews have remarked that the water and the sand simply do not stay separate and can make clean up difficult. While several parents did not mind this one bit, others got around this by simply putting water in both sides and leaving out the sand altogether.
Super Mom Picks Verdict:
Kids revel in messy play, and this table can provide an excellent way to provide that type of play while also maintaining control. The dinosaur theme is a very clever way to tie the two elements of sand and water together, and what kid doesn’t get excited about dinosaurs? They will love acting out battles by having the dinosaurs squirt each other. This table is perfect for the dino lover in your life.
Little Tikes Fun Zone Battle Splash Water Play Table
- The only water table that's also a multiplayer game!
- Shoot the center target, and fill your pillar to the top. Once it's full the Battle Splash Water Table soaks the other players!
- Fill your friends’ boats with water and they'll sink into the sea!
- Spray the spinners for some silly spinning action
- Shoot the targets to fill the buckets beneath. When they're full, the buckets tip over with a splash!
- A connected hose is required to activate water shooters
LITTLE TIKES FUN ZONE BATTLE SPLASH WATER TABLE Review
Little Tikes took water play to the next level with this table. More carnival game than backyard pastime, this table has three connected hoses that shoot water at a center target to race the other players to fill your water tube to the top first. Players can also shoot at hanging targets, plastic boats in the water, or each other.
Many ages will enjoy the novelty of this table, though the one downside to it is that it must be connected to a hose to keep the squirt guns flowing. Because of the constant water flow, the table tends to overflow.
When the hose is turned off kids can enjoy this as a standard water table and play with the included boats.
Super Mom Picks Verdict:
Little Tikes labels this as appropriate for ages 24 months through 10 years old, though I think they could really say even older.
This is a table that will have every member of the family eager to join in and play.
We highly recommend this table if you have older kids or even a mix of older and younger kids.