This Momma is in a hurry, just tell me which sewing machine is the best already!
We found some great machines! Our overall top pick is the Brother XM2701. Reviewers love this machine, and it’s even an award winner. It’s sturdy, has a lot of “grown-up” stitches and options. It’s a quiet, durable machine that’s easy set up and learn to use. The only big downside is that there’s a real chance your child will want to sew all day, every day, and will take up a lot of space making things. But is that really a negative? We really don’t think so.
Kids love the idea of sewing things, but working with a needle and thread can be dangerous (why can’t they remember put the needles away?), tedious, and frustrating. Unless they are specifically interested in embroidery and needlework skills, it’s much more efficient to use a sewing machine.
While there is no shortage of machines on the market, it can be time-consuming and a bit overwhelming to sort through all the information available (especially if you aren’t into sewing yourself).
Janome Pink Sorbet Sewing Machine
- Overview Features: 15 Built-In Stitches, 4-Step Buttonhole, Front-Loading Bobbin System, Heavy Duty Interior Metal Frame
- Customizable Features: Adjustable Stitch Length & ZigZag Width, Reverse Lever, Darning Plate
- Convenience Features: 3-Piece Feed Dog System, Removable Free Arm, Dual Retractable Spool Pins
- Easy to Use: Tutorial Videos, Built-In Bobbin Diagram, Quick Start Guide Included
- Included: 4 Presser Feet, Beginner Accessories, easy-to-follow Instructional Manual, 25-Year Limited Warranty.Extra-High Presser Foot Lift
janome Pink sorbet Sewing Machine review
This machine may look like a toy, but reviewers assure it is not. It’s smallish, but mighty, and users like that it functions as a normal-sized machine in a more compact, less intimidating shell.
This machine comes with a heavy-duty interior metal frame. It can do 15 stitches and a 4-step buttonhole. It has features that can be customized like zig-zag width, and the number of attachments and accessories are perfect. It comes with an LED light, removable free arm, and two spool pins retractable for storage which keeps them from getting bent.
Overall, users love this machine with just a few small exceptions, like the fact that you can adjust the length but not the width of the zigzag. Also, the retractable spool pins are plastic, so some users worried they’d easily get bent.
Most people seem to really love the bright color choices of the machine, but it does make it a better fit for a juvenile than it would for an adult. None of the things people dislike seem to be serious enough concerns to hinder a beginning child user.
Super Mom Picks Verdict:
This is a very good, quality machine made for beginners and typically an excellent value. The color alone will be enough to thrill any child who is hoping to begin sewing. It isn’t intended to be a machine for adult professionals in the sewing business but with its accessories and features, it’s a step above many other beginning machines.
NEX Mini Sewing Machine
- 【Unique Extension Table】Provides extra large sewing space to flow for large sewing project and gives help to stabilize the mini machine.
- 【Portable to Anywhere】The mini sewing machine with a light and the size is very useful to carry for any functions/events for serving the emergency needs of stitching
- 【Switchable Speed】Low or high speed sewing machine provides perfect stitch control to match your sewing skills. This is all up to you to make sewing convenient easy.
- 【Complete Accessories】Mini sewing machine with foot pedal, also has light bulb for working lighting, built-in thread cutter, no scissors needed. An Ideal Gift for Birthday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas and New Year.
- 【Easy to Get Started】Important and necessary to read instruction and view tutorials online, this would help you to work good with the machine and make great sewing projects. Welcome to contact us for any question for NEX Sewing Machine.
NEX Mini Sewing Machine Review
This mini machine is exceptionally strong for its size. It’s got two speeds, which can be helpful for beginners. There is a built-in thread cutter, its compact size and lightweight make it wonderfully portable. Most people found it easy to set up and use. It has a nice safety casing around the needle area to protect small hands from accidents.
People who don’t care for this machine - and the fans and critics are pretty evenly split - say that this machine is more of a toy than a real sewing machine. The biggest complaints are about the accessories.
The pedal redefines “mini”. Several parents said it was so tiny that it was too small for their young children to use well (including a 5-year-old). The size of the machine and accessories are what really makes it feel more like a toy than a machine, and the tray, although the tray seems like it would be a nice touch, it doesn’t stay on very well.
That being said, it’s priced extremely low, sometimes over half the price of other beginning machines.
Super Mom Picks Verdict:
This is a great machine to start with if you’re on a budget and can’t afford some of the pricier options. Although buyers should be aware that it’s sometimes difficult to thread, and the accessories are tiny and a bit fragile, you also won’t be as likely to be frustrated if your child stops wanting to sew. It’s a great travel option, too, for those who just need a little machine that can go along with them.
NEX Multi-Function Electric Sewing Machine
- ✔ Multi-function electric sewing machine for domestic use, suitable for beginner, girl. Good for beginners to make craft, home sewing (e.g. lunch bag, apron).
- ✔ Contains 12 stitches, double - speed operation to meet your sewing needs. Double thread stitching make it easy to finish sewing without knotting. Low/high speed button is equipped for selection to keep safe and powerful.
- ✔ Two start modes, manual button switch or foot pedal;Two power modes, using power cord or charging battery (note that the battery and power cord cannot be used together).
- ✔ It is portable and easy to carry. As a space saver, this sewing machine is an elaborate and mini-size sewing machine, The advanced and high-cost machines are more elaborate on manufacturing. Please read the manual carefully before using the product. Before sewing, you should ensure the correct steps of product threading and the smooth use of handwheel.
- ✔ The product comes with a no hassle money back in 30 days, and 60 days free product replacement warranty guarantee along with NEX’s friendly customer support!
NEX Multi-Function Electric Sewing Machine Review
This NEX is also portable, but it has more functions and is the only one of the five here that can be battery operated (with four AA batteries) or powered by a plug-in adapter - a big plus! This has 12 stitches, two speeds, and double threaded stitching.
It has an LED light, only weighs two pounds, has a bobbin winder, a convenient top-drop-in bobbin, and a thread cutter. It also has a measuring line to use when sewing cuffs.
The interesting thing about comparing this machine to the other small NEX product above is that the tiny foot peddle appears to be the same size in both models, but no one mentioned it or complained about it with this product.
The price difference between this NEX and the one mentioned about is not much - usually averaging about $20. This one seems to be the sturdier option of the two and has more features, so the price increase seems justified.
The only thing we saw that caused worry with this machine is that you have to be very careful about not ever plugging it into an outlet while the batteries in - it causes the machine to break.
Super Mom Picks Verdict:
This little machine packs a big punch with its functions. The size is great for kids and makes it portable, and since its battary operated, it can be taken just about anywhere. It’s got some useful features and stitches so it can help your child as they advance in their skills.
SINGER | Start 1304
- Heavy duty metal frame ensures that the machine remains Still for skip-free sewing
- Stainless steel bedplate provides smooth fabric feed for even sewing
- Made in China
SINGER | Start 1304 Review
No list of sewing machines would be complete without a Singer and a Brother!
This particular machine was made with young beginners in mind. Reviewers say its sewing action is smooth and it’s easy for kids to use. It’s a bit smaller than an normal adult machine and only has 6 stitch options, which makes it less complicated for someone new to sewing. It has an LED light, and it is able to do back stitches. The machine itself is said to be very sturdy.
The needles, bobbins, and pedals are less than sturdy and not up to the Singer standard. Several reviewers say the pedal is stiff, making it harder for kids to operate. There’s also no speed control, and the Singer moves pretty quickly which can make it more difficult for kids to learn.
Some reviewers also said the bobbin was very difficult for an adult - even with sewing experience - so it may be a struggle for children. Others said this is still one of the easiest machines to learn with.
Super Mom Picks Verdict:
The Singer 1304 is a Singer quality machine, even if the accessories are a little lacking. It can handle a backstitch, has a good LED light, and seems to be great starter for kids.
Our Top Pick
- VERSATILE FREE ARM SEWING MACHINE: The Brother XM2701 27 stitch free arm sewing machine is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- 27 UNIQUE BUILT IN STITCHES: This machine includes decorative, blind hem, zigzag, and stretch stitches as well as other built in stitches; Maximum Sewing Speed (Stitches Per Minute) 800
- 6 QUICK CHANGE SEWING FEET: The XM2701 includes 6 quick change sewing feet, with buttonhole, zipper, narrow hemmer, blind stitch, zigzag and button sewing
- JAM RESISTANT: The Brother XM2701 features a jam resistant drop in top bobbin, a brightly lit LED work area, 27 stitches, and 63 stitch functions
- 25 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: This machine includes an instructional DVD, a bilingual user manual, and FREE technical support for the life of the product
Brother XM2701 Review
This award-winning machine is the most complex of the five we reviewed for this article. It has 27 stitches with 63 stitch functions, 6 different quick-change sewing feet, and a free arm. The manufacturer also says it has a jam-resistant feature which is amazing.
It comes with a built-in needle threader and an auto bobbin-winding system, both of which many reviewers love. It has a top drop-in bobbin and three different needle positions. Reviewers also love that it’s quiet.
It’s heavy, but it’s a much more of a “real” machine for your child to start working with. The many options may be a bit overwhelming, but it seems quite a few kids use it and love it.
That being said, the speed isn’t adjustable, which can also be difficult for beginners. Some users have a few issues with the tension, and others say the spools bounce at high speeds. A minor issue is that the foot pedal sometimes slides, but that’s a pretty easy fix.
It’s a cute machine - very purple and flowery. This may not be an issue for most, but there isn’t a gender friendlier option for kids uncomfortable with that.
It’s great machine!
Super Mom Picks Verdict:
This is the best “mature” machine. While it may be too advanced for some, it seems to be pretty popular with kids. It’s usually sold at a great price for all the cool things it does, too. This is our top pick!
Exclusive Insider Tip!
Manuals are included with most these machines, but many of the reviewers said to ditch them. For each of these machines, people said the video tutorials either provided directly from the marketer or on YouTube were the best places to get information for setting up, operating, and troubleshooting issues with their machines. Be sure to check them out!