This Momma is in a hurry, just tell me what the secret is already!
Activated Charcoal is my secret to stopping the stomach bug in its tracks! When the stomach virus (stomach flu or stomach bug or gastroenteritis) is visiting your home, and you need to kick it out immediately there are lots of ways to stop the spread in your home, but the one I have found most effective by far is to prevent the spreading by stopping the vomiting with activated charcoal.
FIRST THINGS FIRST – THIS IS JUST MY RESEARCH AND EXPERIENCE. I’M NO DOCTOR, AND YOU SHOULD ALWAYS RELY ON THE ADVICE OF YOUR HEALTH PROFESSIONAL. IF YOU HAVE ONGOING STOMACH ISSUES ACTIVATED CHARCOAL MAY NOT BE FOR YOU.
THE STOMACH BUG AND ACTIVATED CHARCOAL
I used to loathe the stomach virus or stomach flu. I still do really, but now I don’t sweat it as severely. At the first sign of stomach bug symptoms, I would quarantine the house. All children were confined to different rooms, followed into the bathroom for supervised handwashing, and strapped to a vomit bucket for the next 48 hours.
The stomach bug (viral gastroenteritis) is so contagious because there are large amounts of the virus in an infected person’s vomit and feces. Only a tiny trace is needed to infect the next kid. And it can even spread airborne after vomiting.
Your best defense is to stop the vomiting. Activated charcoal is my weapon of choice.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: We take pride in providing a product that contains no fillers or artificial flavors, ensuring that you receive the authentic benefits of activated charcoal without any unnecessary...
- VERSATILE: Our product offers a wide range of uses and can be applied in various ways to suit your needs. Whether you want to utilize it for personal care, home remedies, or other purposes, this...
- COCONUT DERIVED: Made from clean and responsibly sourced coconut shells, ensuring a pure and natural product.
- CONVENIENT PACKAGING: Our screw-top glass jar makes it exceptionally convenient and user-friendly.
HOW I USE ACTIVATED CHARCOAL:
- Add a pinch of the charcoal powder to 4 oz of a glass of water. You can get it in capsule form which you can break open or you can get it already in a powder form.
- The sick child takes a few sips and lies down.
- If they vomit again within 15 mins, I make them sip more.
- Repeat if you need to but generally, this stops vomiting for the next 4 hours while they sleep!
- At the 4 hour mark, give them a few more sips.
- After 12 hours have passed, they are done taking doses and just need rest.
The activated charcoal helps the virus or toxin pass through the digestive system and out of the body through feces.
One more tip, just in case your vomit clean-up job wasn’t very good, don’t forget to take some for yourself!
Super Mom Picks Tip
Finding activated charcoal powder supplement in stores can be difficult. For this use, I strongly recommend the powder versus the capsules. I have tried to cut open the capsules to add to water, but it can be messy. You can find the powder here on Amazon.
SO YES, ACTIVATED CHARCOAL REALLY DOES HELP STOP THE STOMACH BUG
This natural remedy for stomach flu may or may not work for you, but I have found it to work consistently with my children over the years. If it doesn’t work after just one dose chances are that your vomiting and abdominal pain is more than a stomach bug and may in fact be food poisoning in which case I prefer for my children to get the unwanted substances out of their digestive tract. Additionally if you believe that your child has ingested poisonous materials please contact the poison control center vs trying do a treatment for poisoning at home. Again, I am not a healthcare professional so please consult your medical doctor for medical advice.
I always make sure to have some charcoal powder at home and keep a bottle of the capsules in my car. Please keep in mind that taking just one charcoal tablet will cause black stools and that is normal.
Here is a video that shows how it works
HERE ARE A FEW OTHER TIPS TO BEAT THE STOMACH BUG:
- Essential oils can be used to treat the stomach bug and ease some of the symptoms. You can use them topically or diffuse them into the air.
- Daily probiotics for your kids can decrease the chance they will come down with the stomach bug
- Good cleaning habits around the house including good handwashing can limit the spread of the stomach bug around your house once the first person gets sick.
Other Uses of Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal is a very versatile product with many uses for home remedies. Check out my post that covers lots of its uses.
What is Activated Charcoal?
This black powder has been used for centuries as a natural remedy, from the Greeks to the Ancient Chinese, activated charcoal is known as a terrific absorbing agent that rids the body of harmful substances as it binds to substances and passes them through the digestive track safely. Known for its dark color and toxin clearing properties, charcoal has been used to filter water, clean the digestive tract, preventing gas, skincare, teeth whitening, and more. This supplement can also be used to absorb gas, cure a stomach ache and reduce bloating.
In general, activated charcoal has only one ingredient, charcoal. It can be purchased as charcoal powder or charcoal capsules if you prefer to take pills. It is basically carbon with a sponge-like structure which gives it the quality of absorption.
Activated charcoal is not the same material that you use in your charcoal grill! Grill charcoal or charcoal briquettes has not been “activated” and has many other additives. The activation process is done using very high heat that develops the pores or sponge-like quality.
Have you used Activated Charcoal as a remedy? Have you tried it on bug bites as a topical absorbent? If so, let me know about it in the comments below!